It can be difficult to keep a good plot interesting. How do you find the right balance between action and description? How much tension is enough, and how much is too much? And there’s that point every writer reaches, where everything you put down seems boring and lifeless….
Here are some tips you can use to make things more exciting:
- Brainstorm a list of the worst things that could happen to your character – then start making them happen!
- Ask “what if?” questions – figure out what would logically happen in each scene – then find a way to make something else happen instead!
- Go for emotion – let your character respond to situations with feeling!
- Pile on the pressure – does your character have enough on his or her plate? Add something else to the mix!
- Add a timetable – there’s nothing quite like a ticking clock to ramp up the tension!
What are some tips you’ve developed over the years to make your scenes more interesting?