God forbid the lads might need a laxative!
- Dr. Lorraine’s Vegetable Pill “Mild, certain, safe, efficient. It is far the best cathartic remedy yet discovered” (25 cents a box)
- Polk Miller’s Liver Pills: “For constipation, headache, biliousness” (10 cents per box)
- Dr. Wengert’s Hepatica Pills: For derangement of the liver and secretions. An alternative and cathartic”
- Dr. C. McLane’s Celebrated Liver Pills: “For sick headache and in all bilious complaints”
- Dr. T. Reynolds’ Celebrated Virginia Hepatic Pills
- Holloway’s Pills: ( aloe, myrrh, saffron) “sick headache with loss of appetite … dropsical swellings and turn of life … nervous disorders …”
- Tamara Larix Bon Bon: “For the cure of constipation and liver diseases and thereby for the prevention of headache, dyspepsia, cerebral congestion, biliousness, piles, etc. Etc. Cures constipation and thus prevents congestion of the brain, apoplexy, insanity, convulsions. It is almost a cure for seasickness”
- Dr. H.D. Whitlock’s Cathartic Granules
- Brandreth’s Pills: “Excellent purgative and anti-bilious pills, warranted purely vegetable”
- Ayer’s Pills: “Purely vegetable cathartic”
- Beecham’s Pills:“The great English remedy, cures bilious and nervous ills” (25 cents a box)
- Schenck’s Mandrake Pills: (“For biliousness and associated conditions due to constipation” “For all bilious complaints. These pills are composed exclusively of vegetable ingredients and, although they entirely supersede the use of mercury, do not have any of its injurious effects. They act directly upon the liver, and are a valuable remedy in all cases of derangement of that organ. Sick headache, indigestion, and all bilious disorders succumb to the free use of them”
- Hall Family Pills: “For sick headache, vertigo or dizziness, constipation”
- Rush’s Pills: “Purgative”
Come Spring, Carmela would probably encourage the lads to take a tonic!
- Old Dr. Townsend’s Sarsaparilla (sarsaparilla, molasses, senna and 18-25 proof alcohol) “the most extraordinary medicine in the world”- claimed to purify the blood and cure rheumatism, pimples, spinal issues, eye sores, ringworm and dyspepsia
- Turlington’s Balsam of Life (27 ingredients) “good for “kidney and bladder stones, cholic, and inward weakness”
- Dr. Walker’s California Vinegar Bitters: (various herbs, fermented, possibly sour beer and aloes)
- Mrs. N. Bailey’s Cascarilla Compound “The best Spring medicine of the age” “has cured thousands within the last fifteen years of coughs, colds, dyspepsia, salt rheum, dropsy, canker, piles, and many other diseases resulting from a vitiated state of the blood.”( $1.00 a bottle)
- Ellis’s Iron Bitters: “will enrich the blood and prevent it from becoming watery and weak, give a healthy complexion, restore the appetite, invigorate the system and are very palatable. These bitters are recommended to all persons requiring a safe and valuable tonic, to impart tone and strength to the system, not given by Bitters merely stimulant in their effects; which, although they may possess tonic vegetable properties, cannot give the strength to the blood which the Iron Bitters will give”
- Peruvian Syrup: “strikes at the root of disease by supplying the blood with its vital principle of life element – iron. For all diseases originating in dyspepsia, or a bad state of the blood, it is a specific”
- Dr. J.W. Poland’s Humor-Doctor ”A positive remedy for all kinds of humors, scrofula, scurvy, salt rheum, erysipelas, nettle rash, boils, carbuncles, ulcers and all obstinate affections of the skin; mercurial diseases and every taint of the system; dyspepsia and those diseases originating in the derangement of the digestive organs; viz. Billious complaints, neuralgia, nervous affections, headache, languor, loss of appetite, depression of spirits and costiveness” “An invaluable medicine for purifying the blood”
- Dr. E.C. West’s Nerve and Brain Treatment: “For hysteria, dizziness, convulsions, fits, nervous neuralgia, headache, nervous prostration caused by the use of alcohol or tobacco, wakefulness, mental depression, loss of memory, softening of the brain resulting in insanity, premature old age, barrenness, loss of power in either sex, involuntary emissions and spermatorrhoea caused by over exertion of the brain, self abuse or over indulgence” (Each box contains 1 month’s treatment. $1.00 a box or 6 boxes for 3.00)
- Dr. J Walker’s Vinegar Bitters: “Dyspepsia, indigestion, rheumatism, diarrhea, consumption, catarrh, bronchitis, neuralgia, headache, boils, ulcers, sore eyes, dropsy, scald head, paralysis, erysipelas, scrofula, tetter, skin diseases, bilious, remittant and intermittant fevers, pains in the back, shoulders, heart and chest, liver and kidney troubles, stomach ache, jaundice, gout and fits, colds and coughs, croup, palpitation of the heart, lead colic, nausea, biliousness, constipation, piles, worms” “A purely vegetable preparation manufactured from the Native Herbs of California. The great blood purifier and life-giving principle. Their alternative, solvent, diuretic and tonic properties exceed any medicine in the world.” Directions: Take of the Bitters on going to bed at night from a half to one an one-half wineglassful. Eat good nourishing food such as beef-steak, mutton chop, venison, roast beef and vegetables, and take outdoor exercise. They are composed of purely vegetable ingredients and contain no spirit.
- Greeley’s Bourbon Bitters: “These biters prepared of pure old Bourbon Whiskey and possess all of its stimulating tonic and medicinal power. Modified and improved in its action on the system by the addition of many simple alternative and bitter tonics making them invaluable. A remedy in the treatment of lung complaints, bronchitis, dyspepsia, liver complaints and general debility and weakness of the system” Directions: A wine glassful should be taken before each meal. Ladies and children should begin with less quantity and increase. As an agreeable stomachic these bitters are unsurpassed.
- Hollis Jaundice Bitters: “Are good in all bilious affectations, jaundice, dyspepsia, fever and ague, hypochondria, hysterics, flatulence, costitiveness, diarrhea, indigestion, asthma, worms, catarrh, sick headache and the liver complaint”
- Dr. Sawen’s Life Invigorating Bitters: “Dyspeptic remedy and blood purifyer. A great tonic acting upon the stomach and liver correcting the secretions and providing a certain remedy for dyspepsia, liver complaints, biliousness, nervous debility, loss of appetite and all other diseases requiring a tonic”
- Moses Dame’s Wine of the Woods: “Remedy for dyspepsia, biliousness, costiveness, headache, worms, jaundice, liver complaint, debility, loss of energy, feebleness and all other diseases arising from derangement of the stomach, liver or blood”
- Renne’s Magic Oil: “Colic, cholera mores, cramps and pain in the stomach, cholera, coughs, colds, croups, sore throat, dyspepsia, diarrhea, fever and ague, kidney difficulty, pleurisy, acid stomach, indigestion, headache, sea-sickness, rheumatism, neuralgia, sprains, lameness, sciatica, toothache, earache, catarrh, frost bites”
- Metcalf’s Coca Wine “A pleasant tonic and invigorator” “For fatigue of mind or body” “From fresh coca leaves and the purest wine” “Recommended for neuralgia, sleeplessness, despondency, etc.”
- Vin Mariani ( coca leaves in red bordeaux wine) “Popular French tonic wine” “Diffusible stimulant and tonic in anaemia, nervous depression, sequelae of childbirth, lymphatism, tardy convalescence, general malaise, and after wasting fevers; special reference to the nervous system, in all morbid states, melancholia etc.; tonic in laryngeal and gastric complications, stomach troubles; all cases where a general toning or strengthening of the system is needed; the only tonic stimulant without any unpleasant reaction, and may be given indefinitely, never causing constipation” a proper dose was two the three glassfuls per day, taken before or after meals (halved for children). Even the Pope endorsed it!
HERE is a link to one of the StoryGrid articles – all about genre and the details you need to know in order to write in any one of them.
We’ve hit 5,000 “likes” over on the Facebook page!
To celebrate, the lads are giving away 5 copies of the anthology, plus an assortment of swag they’ve … er … found. Sure, that’s where they got it.
Each Swag Bag will contain:
- one autographed copy of DOWN THE OWLHOOT TRAIL
- a deck of cards from Chance’s cabinet (he’ll never miss them, honest)
- a mechanical doo-dad from Kye’s blacksmith shop
- and of course, the usual author swag
“But how do I enter?” you may ask – it’s simple!
Either comment with your email address OR email me at email@example.com and answer the following question: Who is your favorite Western character and why?
Winners will be chosen at random from qualifying answers. Remember to put CONTEST in the email subject line if you choose to email me personally.
Contest ends December 30th
You can’t win unless you enter!